The Tina problem (Topic 1: Online participation & digital literacies)

 

We are getting started! I feel that during the past two weeks, PBL group 5 has been growing into a team while we were working on topic 1. 

During our first meeting we had quite an animated, multifaceted and really engaging discussion about various angles from which to approach the scenario. The "focus" part of our FiSh document, however, quickly started looking a little bit less than focused, and we eventually decided that if we could not discard enough of what we had come up with to narrow our work down to one aspect, we might as well spread out and research various different ones simultaneously. Which is what we did from then on, and as it turned out, our different paths led us to a lot of common points eventually. We chose to create a "ThingLink" to present our findings as it allowed for enough space to present multiple facets of online learning and digital literacies in an easy to navigate, well-structured way. So far, so good. 

As I was tasked with the "ICT"-aspect of digital literacies, I got to look into the technical side of our scenario: I did some reading up on frameworks for aspects of ICT literacy in both students and educators, I learned about models for increasing confidence and competence in this field and investigated how this fits in with other required competences in education. Personally, I found the TPACK model very helpful as it strikingly visualizes how technological knowledge plays into successful teaching just as much as other aspects like content knowledge and pedagogical knowledge do. This realization goes two ways, of course: The model makes clear that technological skills alone are nothing worth speaking about in a teacher who does not know their subject well or lacks the pedagogical skills to get their students to engage with it. 

I am really happy with what we came up with, and I learned a lot along the way. But I realized somewhere about halfway through that it just would not do for me to try and write small academic articles about every single interesting aspect of our topic that I came up with (I had been keeping an increasingly bloated file with comments on all the stuff I had found). A little bit further down the way I understood that it would not even be possible to read all the papers by others that I came across. I had to restrain myself to a very cursory, superficial approach in order to make do with the time available for the task. This is something I will have to work on in upcoming parts of ONL: Find the right balance between engagement and restraint. 

On a very different note, I realized my own prejudices about gender and technology! As the members of our group are all very tech-savvy and our work really profits from the interesting tools and platforms that each of us knows and shares, I decided to contribute with a quick simpleshow video to visualize the first scenario. So I created Tina, the insecure newbie to professional online residency, and it took me almost a day to realize that I had reproduced a cliché. Why, I am still asking myself, did I jump to the conclusion that the person in our scenario had to be a woman? I fully intended to create a complementing "Tino"-video there and then, but just did not get around to doing so in time before the end of the week. So here it is, a lasting sign of how we sometimes cannot escape certain mindsets, however hard we try. 


Comments

  1. Great job, Andrea! I really agree with you that the TPACK Model covers very much the challenge of us in this moment and time. I found a cool TPACK desciption here https://kpcrossacademy.org/from-pck-to-tpack-knowledge-for-teaching-online/
    The Tina-video is a great eyecatcher and I would like to thank you for pointing this out to the group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and the additional information, Christian! I still cannot believe I had never come across TPACK before. I will certainly give that page a look. :)

      Delete
  2. It is difficult not to get caught up in the research and articles that are available out there (it also sometimes takes us off topic too).
    We need to read enough to engage in a meaningful process that each of us will go through at some point in this course.
    Allow the deep dive into topics that interest you to happen when you have the time after ONL has been completed.
    This is just the beginning 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does help to hear this from somebody with more "ONL experience", Bianca. Thanks! I will have a lot of "deep diving" to do on various aspects of our course this summer, I am sure of that. *g* For now, even just splashing around near the surface is a fascinating experience, and I am really impressed by the difference that the community aspect of this course makes.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Andrea, for helping us digitally develop with your Tina-video :) I have not read much about TPACK but I know that many researchers from my country focus on it if they decide to research 'teacher education' for the last few years. I guess it is a reflection of the 21st century skills on the aspect of teacher education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, looking into TPACK I realized that it really is widely used internationally (and for a good reason). I do wonder how I managed to not come across it earlier. :D

      Delete
  4. Thanks Andrea for the Tina video I thought it worked great and I am looking forward to the Tino version as well. I am inspired to create my own videos -- your creativity was marked right from Flipgrid and it's great to have you as a PBL group-mate. This is actually my 5th time trying to post a comment, as the links are in German? and I am working on intuition. I hope this time it gets through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hej Lynette, sorry for the trouble with Blogger! I was not aware that the blog tries to "speak German" with everybody, not just me. I'll try to change that, it is not very useful in an international context. :D And I am glad that I could return the favor of introducing a fun digital tool with "simpleshow" after you brought "Flipgrid" to my attention (I am already looking forward to trying that in class). I really like how we all help each other discover so many useful tools as a side effect of this course!

      Delete
    2. ...and here comes the "Tino" version! https://videos.simpleshow.com/OCGk1vQggq :)

      Delete
  5. Hi! I liked both Tino and Tina's conundrum. Especially as the short videos don't conclude in solutions. I like the open question-mark. I seem to have a BIG problem understanding most of my peers' persistence that professional conduct requires preservation of our privacy. Tino and Tina seem to take this for granted as well. Or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michail, that's an interesting question indeed! I suppose we are touching on one of the big questions about being a teacher and researcher here ´: How much of our (private) lives do we want to open up to our students and peers, and how much do we purposefully keep to ourselves when we work? While fitting in with an unwritten "code of conduct" for professional behavior certainly plays a role for decisions made about this, I believe that wanting to preserve a certain level of privacy goes far beyond that for many of us. I would include myself here - I am passionate about my work and I do not mind being "visible" with what I do and how I do it. But personally, I am a little reluctant about having my private life spread all over the internet for everybody to see. Now that my professional life happens online most of the time, the increased visibility makes it more important to me to keep the various parts of my life separate from each other (and "private" things private - which is not something I find all that important on campus and in face to face situations). How are you experiencing this?

      Delete
    2. Thank you Andrea for your response and sharing your feelings about it. Because I believe this all thing is about feelings and how to bottle them up and away from "professional conduct". I am sure this is partly necessary and a lot of it is also due to the patriarchal legacy of our modern reasoning. We may talk about post-colonialism, post-feminism, post-humanism and all the post- and meta- we will still thing of, but we need to keep feelings/emotions/intimacy private, and present to the world and peers our well-collected reasonable selves. Hille Koskela has written about "emotional space" and possibly others too. Inka Kaakinen also mentioned in her thesis how the feminisation of public space in Latin American cities challenges norms. I personally see just a continuum where people live, share and create communities. Here also Sennett's "civic bodies" comes to my mind when he wrote that sharing our pain/trauma truly connects us. As a mature gay man struggling most of my life to live as I am, I think that keeping private (and you can imagine how much private I needed to be at times) hasn't helped me. So, now in my early 50s I start to think that I really don't care because it doesn't matter. I know of course how strange this must make me to most. Thank you for making me think more about this.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"We are open" - or are we, really? (Topic 2: Open Learning - Sharing and Openness)

Last things last (Topic 5: Lessons learnt)